Wednesday, June 27, 2012

out of my comfort zone

This week has been quite a week so far and it’s only Wednesday. This week I am working at a camp for children on the autism spectrum. This week is the three to six years old camp and I must confess, I am completely out of my comfort zone. Not because of autism. But mainly because the campers are so young and I am used to big kids. The first day was rough and I mean rough. I was over the group of campers that needed the most direction. Most of the campers were first timers. First time away from mom, first time in a new place and first time with so much going on. I signed up for the younger children because I know that is where I struggle. Like I said yesterday was tough but today was better. We made some improvements and I believe in celebrating every accomplishment. Big or small. If you want information on autism, click here. I have met some amazing campers and councilors, along with seeing some familiar faces. 



I wish I could explain how I feel about autism but I do not think you have all day to listen to me. When I am at work, I am go with flow taking every situation as it comes. But when I get home it is like, BAM! My brain goes into overload, I replay things in my mind that could have triggered something or something I could have done different with a student. I am looking forward the next week off and then 2 more weeks of Camp Bold. 


I feel as if I have some new adventures coming my way, so stay tuned folks. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment